Essence Pretty Natural Hydrating Foundation

sobota, december 26, 2020

 

In the last products update (autumn 2020) Essence released a foundation that replaced the previous #insta perfect liquid makeup. It promises a medium coverage and a texture that "pleasantly melts into the skin", and as the name suggests, the finish should be pretty natural. They are offering 36 shades, which is the largest range so far by Essence, though today several drugstore companies offer at least as many shades, so it's not that impressive any more, it's almost expected for new launches (though that's more true for US brands than European, but I'm glad they are following suit). However, I'm less happy about the fact that they only have 10 shades on their shelves, here in Slovenia they start with shade 030. I suppose space on the stands is the obvious issue, but the only option I was able to find all the shades that ships to Slovenia is kosmetik4less.de, which not only has a minimum order value, but also an expensive shipping (almost 13 € to most of Europe). This foundation would completely pass me by if it wasn't warmly recommended to me by someone who really loves it, as when I saw that the lightest shade here doesn't fit me all that well (it's passable though), I didn't even consider buying it, but then I got curious.


Texture: I was surprised at how entirely different this is from the #insta foundation. That one was a lightweight, liquid formula with low coverage that was more like a tinted moisturiser, but this is a thick, creamy formula that has very little slip, so this is hard to blend. With fingers I can barely do it, so I much prefer a big oval brush with this one otherwise it's a hard formula to spread evenly around the face. I haven't tried it with a sponge, but I think it would work ok with this formula. This layers terribly and with time where I layered looks very cakey (layered over spots and under eyes instead of concealer). Where I applied just one layer is wears much better. It's not a lightweight foundation and I can feel it on the skin.


Coverage and finish: Coverage is much improved from its predecessor and it's a promised medium - actually closer to a medium-high - coverage formula and the finish is satin, so neither matte nor too greasy/moisturising. I think my skin is too dry for this one because while it doesn’t look flaky, my skin crinkles with it like I’m very old when I smile or do other expression. It also doesn't look all that well over pores. I think you can see on the before/after picture that this doesn't look natural on the skin and it's an obvious foundation. It's similar to the newest Catrice True Skin in that respect, so the latest Cosnova offerings are just not my cup of tea, at least on my normal/dry skin. 

Staying power: Staying power is very good, as despite my constant touching of the face, it doesn't fade completely by the end of the day. However, it's more how it's wearing that's the problem and even with time this never properly melts in, so it would look more natural.


Shade: 030 is the lightest shade here in Slovenia (also I think in a lot of places) and it’s similar to Bourjois Healthy Mix 51 in terms of how deep the shade is. It's called Neutral Ivory, but as you can see on my swatches, it's definitely more of a warm shade. Catrice's True Skin shade with the same name is considerably lighter and more neutral. 

Scent: It's got a powdery-floral scent.


Packaging: A basic squeeze tube similar to Maybelline Fit Me. It has no nozzle, so it can be messy if you don't clean up the opening before screwing the lid. It comes in a box and has a security sticker over the opening, so check whether it has it before you buy it, so you know no one has been tampering with it in the shop.

Price and availability: I bought mine in Müller for 5.49 €. It's sold in many drugstores around here and places online with worldwide shipping. It's not a foundation that's hard to get, but it's harder to find a particular shade.


My skin doesn't like this one. Their previous one, #insta perfect, was underwhelming to me at first, but I've grown to like it particularly because of the natural look and an easily available very pale shade, so I'll miss that one. Pretty Natural delivers when it comes to coverage and staying power, but on my skin it's very obvious and aging, so I'm not a fan, just like I'm not of the Catrice's True Skin. However, it was recommended to me by one who loves and I've read a rave review or two, so I know some like it and my opinion is just one among those. I'll keep mine only for comparison swatches, but I doubt I'll wear it often. I might give it a chance in the summer to see if I like it more. I'm not happy with Essence's decision to not have the lightest shades on the stand as their previous foundation had the cheapest option for me to get a shade that fits me in my local drugstore. 


Have a great day!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I enter your website regularly almost every day. You have some great articles. I Love Your Suggestions. Thanks.

    OdgovoriIzbriši

TRANSLATE