Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque

torek, november 19, 2013


I am the worst when it comes to face masks. I always forget to use them and then remember it's been a month(s) since I used one or I use them only when I need to treat something. Plus, as someone who wears glasses, I find the whole leave-for-10+-minutes-thing utterly annoying. Therefore, I have neither used many nor do I own a lot of them. For years my choice for a clarifying mask was Neutrogena Visibly Clear 2 in 1, which I still love, but I saw how cheap Mint Julep Masque was and I read some nice reviews, so I decided to give it a go.


Packaging: First off, the tube is huge. Massive. Think something like John Frieda shampoos and conditioners. There is 226.8 g of product in it, which I'll probably use up sometime around 2055. For comparison, the Neutrogena one has 150 ml. It has a twist off cap, but I would prefer a flip one.


Texture: This is super thick. I mean thicker that toothpaste and actually difficult to squeeze out. It wasn't like that from the beginning, but after about a month it really became a chore to get it out of the tube. Despite the thickness, it's not that hard to apply and spread on the face. It looks just like that stereotypical face mask colour from all the cartoons and films: a dark mint green and it dries to a much lighter green. I can assure you that you'll scare everyone who should see you wearing it, or at least make them laugh hysterically. It says to leave it on for 15 minutes. It semi-dries in that time and certain areas are still damp, while other areas get super tight. For it to fully dry, I find I need to leave it on for at least 25 minutes.
Maja from Pink Maskara did a comprehensive review including pictures of her wearing it here. That's dedication to a blog people! Click on the link and follow her because she really deserves it, also her skin is different than mine, so it will help to get another perspective. I actually bought the mask because of her. The same goes for Sanja and her version.


Scent: It smells all right. Minty, obviously and something like Orbit green gums. I prefer Neutrogena's.


Results: It's an average clay based clarifying mask. But that exactly what I expected for the price. I never notice much difference after using them since I skin is quite clear and healthy (I don't tend whine about my skin. Having someone in my family go through a horrible acne experience puts everything in perspective). Some reviewers report a drastic reduction in blackheads, but I don't notice any difference nor have I noticed a reduction in pore sizes. And I can't report about whether it dries up/heals breakouts as I haven't had any since I bought it. Clarifying masks draw out impurities and that's why it's nice to use it once in a while, even if your skin isn't oily or spotty and that's why I use them. I did find it too drying on one or two occasions, but mostly it was fine even for my combination-dry skin. Honestly, don't find it as nice for my skin as the Neutrogena one. The latter doesn't dry as much, but my skin still feels clean, more healthy and radiant. It is a but more expensive, but easier to get and better suited for someone whose skin is drier.


Price and availability: You probably won't get a better deal than this mask. 226 g cost less than 3€. Mine is from iHerb since it's not sold here, which means an additional 4$ (3€) for shipping. It's great for someone on a budget.

Clarifying masks are such a staple product no matter your skin type. If your skin is very oily and spotty, give this a go. Actually every one who is on a budget or just doesn't want to spend much on a clarifying mask might want to give it a go (and it's a lot cheaper than those in packets). It is basic and affordable, I can see why people love it and yet it is not my favourite.

Have a great day!

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Oooo... hvala za tako lepo omembo. :D Meni je maska super, za mešano/problematično kožo je res odlična. Meni je počasi že zmanjkuje, bo treba novo tubico ali dve spet kupit. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. You're welcome :) Jaz se bom verjetno še najmanj 3 leta matrala porabit to tubo :D . Isto kot z Neutrogeno.

      Izbriši
  2. Sounds pretty alright. I have oily skin, and I have been getting lots of break outs lately.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Se strinjam s tvojo oceno:). Jaz sem iskreno pričakovala preveč od te maske. Imam bolj masno do mešano kožo z veliko blackheads in na tem področju nisem zaznala občutnega izboljšanja. V bistvu res povprečna maska, ampak da bi me navdušila, pa ne. In to stiskanje - joj, ravno včeraj sem se "borila" z njo, ker so me ta teden napadli mozolji :/ Neutrogeno imam ajz tudi, mi je pa ljubša Garnier Pure Active 3-in-1, sploh ob "napadih" mozoljev:)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Ni slaba, ampak ni presežek. Za to ceno verjetno ne dobiš boljše.
      Od Garnierja še nisem imela. Se mi je vedno zdela tako podobna Neutrogenini, pa je zato nisem vzela. Sem pa včasih redno kupovala Garnierjeve tiste modre v paketkih (če sploh še obstajajo) in so mi bile dobre :)

      Izbriši
  4. Hvala za omembo in pa hahaha za 2055 :D Dobra, dobra :)
    Je pa zanimivo kako različne izkušnje imamo z njo. Sama sem recimo, od kar jo redno uporabljam, opazila zmanjšanje števila ogrcev, mi je pa ravno tale Neutrogenina povzročala mozolje in čisto razdražila kožo....

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. You're welcome :)
      Eh, mene ogrci itak ne motijo. Saj jih ima praktično vsak, pa mislim, da moje samo jaz vidim :). Neutrogena je meni kul, se pa čuti, da ima pepermint notri, ker mi tečejo solze, če jo nanesem preblizu oči.

      Izbriši
  5. I'm a huge fan of clay masks, and this is the only good one I've found at the drugstore. Plus I really like the minty tingle and the price is amazing too.
    :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Jaz jo bom definitivno probala ob naslednjem naročilu z iHerba, ker za ta denar nimam kaj zgubiti, edino nečistoče z obraza, če tej maski uspe :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. thanks, It's more http://modenka.blogspot.com/

    OdgovoriIzbriši

TRANSLATE