Max Factor Excess Shimmer Bronze

četrtek, maj 07, 2015


There was much talk about these a few months ago, though I feel that the hype had subsided by now, these remained in the back of my mind as being a nice drugstore buy. When I first saw the full price of these, I swiftly recoiled and focused on the rest of the Max Factor stand, but when I got a not so shy discount coupon, this eyeshadow was the first to land in my shopping basket. There were four shades available here and two caught my attention. The lighter taupe-champagne shade called Copper and this one called Bronze. Since the former was out of stock, I got this, which was my first choice anyway.


Bronze is a medium-deep warm brown shade with some bronze tones in it and gold shimmer. I think this would be a great shade on all eye colours, especially blue as it would emphasize it. It's quite a dark shade, so it's better for smoky eyes, though if you decide to wear only a sheer wash, it could be an everyday shade for those who are comfortable with such a look. 

The texture is very soft, almost like a cross between a mousse and a liquid eyeshadow, so the lightest touch of the surface with a finger leaves you with tons of colour. I would advise to apply this gradually, with lots of blending between applications to get a nice soft focus blend at the edges. It's difficult to apply in such a way that the lid is covered with an opaque coat of eyeshadow as firstly you need a lot of layers if you want a nicely blended look and secondly this creases. You'll see on my eyes how remarkably beautiful it looks when my eyes are open, but it looks patchy once they're closed. It doesn't look like that at first and I was quite disappointed to see all my blending work, which wasn't easy, erased by tiny creases that appear after about a minute. It all depends on the thickness of the eyeshadow coat, so light layers work a lot better, but I just wanted that nice liquid metal effect and with this it doesn't really work. I do love it as a nice wash of colour though and I still think this is a product that works best as a base rather than an individual eyeshadow.


Staying power is difficult to determine because it depends on how you perceive durability. Do you mean how long does the eyeshadow look intact, so with no creases or do you just care how long any colour remains on the lids? If you care about the latter, then it lasts long enough to get you through the day, but it won't look pretty. As I said before, I'd definitely put an eyeshadow over it because in that case you'll get a nice intense eyeshadow look paired with nice staying power.

I tend to apply these with fingers, though it's possible to use a brush, however, I just feel that with a brush it's ever messier. I apply the colour with a finger on the lid and then tap outwards, finishing with a blending brush around the edges for I get a nice haze of colour.  


I applied a thicker coat on my pictures, because I presume most would buy this eyeshadow to get that liquid metal effect. If you apply it more as a wash, it doesn't look as creased, but it does crease.

I general, I'm not as impressed by this as with Maybelline's Color Tattoos. They are definitely messier and they crease, but I am completely in love with this shade because I think it compliments my eye colour so well. I've been pairing it with Smog eyeshadow from the Urban Decay Naked palette, though that one is definitely a more gold shade than this and would really like to find an eyeshadow that would match this one from Max Factor.


These cost 9.99 € in DM. Are they worth it? Only if you really like the shade and you plan to use it as a base. Otherwise I'd go with Maybelline's Tattoos.

Have a great day!

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. It's a shame these crease :/ We don't have them available in the US but I was planning on picking some up when I got to Europe for the summer but now I'm not that sure, I might just stick to their baked blushes :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I'm surprised to hear you don't have them. I would rather stick to trying out just their baked blushes and their All Day Primer if you haven't yet :)

      Izbriši
  2. Meni je pa uspelo totalno spregledati ta senčila. Mi je odtenek všeč, ampak če tako zleze v gubo pri intenzivnejšem nanosu, ni zame.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. So kar skrita v stojalih, pa Britanke so o njih govorile, drugi pa večinoma ne :) Jaz imam tudi raje ta inteziven kovinski videz, ampak s tole pač ne gre.

      Izbriši
  3. This shade is extremely pretty, especially in combination with your blue eyes! It's quite a bummer that they crease, though. Is it weird that I find that the product in the pot looks pretty delicious?

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Thank you :) My eyes are actually grey and this shade makes them look like blue-green, so I adore the colour :) It does look a bit like chocolate, doesn't it :)

      Izbriši
  4. It makes your eye color pop, girl!:D Res izgleda fantastično na tebi. Ampak si me zdaj vsaj odrešila nakupa. Ni to zame, se bom držala mojih ljubih tatujev:). Odtenek je pa čudovit, sploh gold vmes:D

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Hvala <3 Res se mi zdi tale barva kot narejena za moje običajno sive oči, prav ta modri-zeleni podton poudari :) Meni je tako škoda, da ni med Tattooji takega odtenka.

      Izbriši
  5. Še ena, ki jih je spregledala, barva je božanska <<3 ampak kaj ko imam toliko teh da ne vem če bi prišel a vrsto.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Pri nas niso se mi zdi da niso bile kaj posebej razstavljene, ampak jaz spremljam večinoma Britanske blogerke in one so kar dosti govorile o teh :) Saj ga ne rabiš nujno :D

      Izbriši
  6. Thanks for the honest review. I definitely like the shade. But quality is everything, so I'd still skip this one.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. The shade is gorgeous, but without a powder eyeshadow on top, it doesn't work as I hoped.

      Izbriši
  7. I'm sooo late on this one but I will buy this shade right the next time I'll get to the drugstore. I just saw a girl with dark brown eyeshadow in a tv show and told myself: I need an eyeshadow like this. Mateja oncr wrote about one. :)
    I'll try to set the colour in the crease with a light dust of translucent powder. Maybe this will help with creasing!
    Lots of love!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I would set it instead with a similar bronze shade. Maybe Catrice 960 Choc'Late Night Show or something like it :)

      Izbriši
    2. The translucent one (it is absolutely transparent) did a good job. I didn't had any issues with creasing whatsoever :-D It is really a very nice shade!

      Izbriši
    3. That's great to hear and a nice tip for everyone who might read these comments :)

      Izbriši
    4. ..like me :) I'll always come back to read your answers!

      Lots of love, Su

      Izbriši
    5. I do the same on other blogs ;)

      Izbriši

TRANSLATE