Empties #31

nedelja, januar 20, 2019


MAKEUP


This is my favourite mascara with a regular, meaning non-waterproof, formula and I already miss it so much. Every mascara I get to try disappoints me in some or other way, but mostly because they don't keep my lashes at least a little bit curled. This one does everything I want - gives volume, definition and keeps my lashes lifted enough so I don't look like I have no lashes looking straight on. It can't compare to a proper waterproof mascara, but it does enough and it's easy to remove. The price is the thing that keeps me from buying it all the time, but every time a new disappointment lands in my mailbox, I regret not having this in my collection.  
Repurchase: Yes.

Such a boring mascara, though not a useless one. It's so light and probably the most natural looking mascara I've tried. I had hoped this would thicken in time and start producing more volume, but that never happened. It doesn't give much volume, but it excels at definition and has a great multiplying effect, since it catches every lash, combs them very neatly and fans them out. The main feature is the a wand that bends, but that turned out to be a major disadvantage because it didn't allow much product to be deposited on the lashes at once, so a lot of layers are needed for a good effect. From Maybelline mascaras Lash Sensational is a big winner for me, but this one not so much.
Repurchase: No.

This was such a major mess when it was new. It was one of the wettest formulas I've tried, so application was clumpy, it weighed my lashes down and it took long to dry, so it was prone to smudging. I hoped that in a few weeks of use this will thicken and dry a bit, and start producing a better result, but against all expectations this became a very tame mascara that stopped creating a lot of volume, instead it was more about definition and just tinting the lashes. It's still not dry, but it became very natural looking on the lashes. 
Repurchase: No.

I'm a fan of Max Factor mascaras (apart from the super messy 2000 calorie) and this one had an almost the same effect as one of my favourite mascaras ever, Voluptious False Lash. However, unlike that one it didn't hold my lashes curled, so that was always an issue for me. If you don't have a problem with stubborn lashes, it's a nice drugstore buy, but I'd get Voluptious instead.
Repurchase: No.


I never considered this a unique formula, as even as I got it I noticed that Collection's Lasting Perfection acts exactly the same on me, and now I have plenty of other similar formulas, but the main appeal of this concealer is the shade. It's the lightest product I've ever found, almost an off-white with a neutral undertone and it was almost too pale for me. Now I prefer Look By Bipa's concealer in 010 because the shade is less pale and suits me better. The cap broke at one point which did not make me terribly happy, but otherwise this is a nice formula, it's just that I can get cheaper products that look, cover and last the same.
Repurchase: Probably not because there are so many good drugstore alternatives.

This is just the bunch I used up last year and I think there should be more hiding in my drawers, but this is my favourite eyeliner formula that I use every day and I always have a spare in stock. It's super black, dries matte, has a great applicator that is easy to use and it lasts all day on my lids. I'm always scared Catrice will discontinue this and I really hope this evades their discontinuing frenzies for years to come. 
Repurchase: Done.

SKIN CARE


MIXA Micellar Water Anti-Dryness
My favourite micellar water that just does the job of removing makeup, it doesn't leave any layer behind and it's not drying. It has no scent, it feels like water and it's got a skin friendly pH. I've used Bioderma before and this works the same for me for less money.
Repurchase: Done.

GARNIER Biphase Micellar Cleansing Water in Oil
One of my favourite micellars. It's one of the strongest I tried, as the extra oil makes it some kind of an hybrid between a regular micellar and a waterproof makeup remover, though it's not quite strong enough to get off a waterproof mascara. I prefer Mixa's version, but this is a close second.
Repurchase: Yes.

BALEA Erfrischendes Waschgel
One of many tubes I've gone through. This is the old one before they changed the formula a bit and I actually like the new one more because it doesn't have a strong scent. This is my second cleanser after oil and it does its job well without being drying.
Repurchase: Done.

BIOBAZA Exclusive Face Cleansing Micellar Oil
My standard cleansing oil, I've been through quite a few of these so far. It's not the best oil, but it's half cheaper than L'Occitane's Immortelle. It's rubbish at removing mascara and liner, but it removes all the rest and it works well with my skin, which is something that doesn't happen with most oils. I want to find something cheaper and better, but I'm reluctant to experiment for now. 
Repurchase: Done.


This was in my stash for quite a while, mostly neglected and I think it got bad because at the end it just wasn't removing much and I tossed it away (not that it was a top performer to begin with, but averagely ok). However, I kept the bottle because this is the best packaging for micellar waters due to the pump and I now use it for Mixa Micellar water. 
Repurchase: No.


I was not a big fan on this. It's gel with sparse scrub particles which turns into oil when rubbed into skin and emulsifies in contact with water. It just didn't fit into my routine - it's too weak for a scrub, I couldn't use it as a stand-alone cleanser because of the oil because it needs a second cleanse and even though it was an oil, it didn't work as a makeup remover (though it doesn't claim to do that any way). I was glad to see this gone.
Repurchase: No.

INELL Mousse Nettoyante Hydratante
This was my morning cleanser for years before I started just using water to avoid messing with pH too much. But I used this can as a shower mousse and it was lovely. The formula of this is very fluffy and the mousse is nicely thick, plus I liked the simple scent. I'm not sure if it's still sold, but I used to buy these in Leclerc.
Repurchase: No.

I love this stuff. It's nothing special and texture is similar to regular gel-cream moisturisers, except it stays on the skin longer when a thick coat is applied (as a sleeping pack). I mostly used it in the morning under a foundation and it always worked great, while for night routine it was not quite enough in these winter months, but for most of the year it was fine (I'm currently using Creatures de Monoi moisturiser, which fits my dry skin better). It works with my skin and it never lets me down, but it's just a moisturiser and I'd like to upgrade to Beauty of Joseon cream because I really liked the sample I got.
Repurchase: It's likely. 


Palmer's makes the best lip balms, I'm especially a big fan of their Swivel Stick which apart from this Flip Balm is the only lip balm I use. They are the only brand I found that doesn't make such a waxy formula that sits like an annoying layer on the lips, instead it feels more creamy and smooth. This one actually dried to an useless state, which is no wonder since it was both quite old and I almost never have dry lips, so I very rarely apply a lip balm - sometimes I forget them all together for months. Regardless I really liked this one, not just the formula, but also the fruity-cocoa butter scent and the great packaging.  
Repurchase: Yes.

These were very flip-floppy. They never worked as effectively as Biore's, but sometimes they were quite decent, yet sometimes they did nothing. They just didn't impress me much.
Repurchase: No.


ETUDE HOUSE Moistfull Collagen Emulsion 
I loved this. It's a light moisturiser that I used in the morning under makeup and it worked under all foundations. I also loved the grapefruit scent which is so uplifting. The toner and cream from this line are also great.
Repurchase: Yes.

ETUDE HOUSE Moistfull Collagen Essence
My least favourite product from this line. It just didn't do much apart from light moisturising, which other products did better anyway. 
Repurchase: No.

THE BODY SHOP Oils of Life Intensely Revitalising Facial Oil
This little bottle lasted me so long, though I had some long pauses to test other products, and I loved it a lot. Every time I used it my skin was in such great condition - clear, soft and very radiant. It's a dry oil, so there's very little of that greasy feeling, even less than at Nuxe, so that's a step up in my books, except for the scent which is somewhat nutty-herbal. Nuxe is still brilliant, though, and way cheaper, especially per ml, but I'm very tempted to buy a full size of TBS. 
Repurchase: Yes.


One of my favourite moisturising masks. It's got such a pleasant, comfy lotion formula and it feels like heaven on the face, plus the grapefruit scent is so nice. I highly recommend this one, but in this formula. I've tried lemon from this line and it's different. By the way, this is a LE packaging and the regular one has a picture of grapefruits.
Repurchase: Yes.

My favourite sheet mask formula by far because it does everything I want, which is nourish, even out the skin and noticeably brighten. It also smells like honey which is an extra plus. It's one of the more expensive mask formulas, but it's worth it.
Repurchase: Yes.

Alongside with Pearl, Madecassoside is my favourite formula of these. It's nourishing, calming and tones down any redness. It also promises to promote healing, though I never used it when I had spots. Etude House's version is very similar and the only difference is the sheet, which is marginally better at The Face Shop (mostly in terms of fit for me), so it doesn't matter which one you get.
Repurchase: Yes.


MY BEAUTY DIARY Sheet Mask
Natto (tightening)
A simple moisturising mask, which wasn't as impressive as Black Pearl, but it had a nice milky essence that absorbed fast and it left my skin feeling nourished and looking better, less bland. I didn't notice a massive tightening effect, but all the extra moisture filled my lines for a couple of hours.
Repurchase: Maybe. I'd like to try more formulas of these.

MY BEAUTY DIARY White Lily Brightening Essence Mask
I expected this to be a better version of Black Pearl based on what I heard about it, but it wasn't as brightening. It was a nice moisturising mask, but are more impressive ones.
Repurchase: Probably not. I prefer Black Pearl.


ETUDE HOUSE 0.2 mm Air Therapy Sheet Mask
Snail, Ceramide, Madecassoside and Manuka Honey
All of these had a similar very comfy, nourishing formula and all are great formulas I'd like to use more. Especially Snail and Madecassoside are my favourite because the tone down any redness or irritation. All have the same chemical creamy scent, which is fine, but I expected a honey scent at Manuka Honey and I was a bit let down, though the formula makes up for it. 
Repurchase: Yes to all.

BODY


BILOU Creamy Shower Foam 
Tasty Donut
These has such a nice fluffy formula, but that not the main plus for me. It's the fact they last so much longer than shower gels. Too bad we don't have these here in Slovenia, but Balea's are the same anyway. This scent was very sweet and fruity, the description mentions the scent of strawberry jelly in donuts and it's indeed something similar.
Repurchase: Other scents.

BALEA Duschgel 
They see me rollin'
This smelled like Vademecum kid's pink tooth paste with the crocodile, so like berries with mint. It was much thicker than Balea's other gels, which did not work out that well, but it's already gone from our DM's anyway.
Repurchase: It's discontinued, but yes to other scents.

BALEA Rasiergel 
Peach Love
This was one of my favourite editions so far because it has such a nice peach scent. I hope they make a similar one soon as this is already gone.
Repurchase: Always, but in scents currently available.

SILISS Creme Depilatorire
I got this in Leclerc and it has to be the most useless depilatory cream ever. Most such creams don't work on me anyway, but even a very thick coat of this did not make my skin smooth. Waste of time and my bathroom had the depilatory cream smell for two days.
Repurchase: No.


Hard skin removing socks
I didn't see this anymore in our DM, but it's on meindm.at which I guess it means they brought it back after being a LE. It works exactly the same as Korean versions, which I'm very pleased about. It's a high percentage mix of lactic and glycolic acid which come in plastic socks that you're supposed to wear for about an hour. You can't really walk in them (far), so be ready to be off your feet for that time, thought you can put other socks over them. I didn't feel any tingling, but it does have a strong scent of green tea. The peeling began on day 6 and it continued for almost week. The first to go is the thick skin on the soles and the last the thin layer at the top of the feet. They look pretty bad for those days and they are very flaky, so it's not something to use when you plan to wear any open shoes. They didn't make my feet super soft, but neither did K-Beauty ones and that's because I have very hard skin on my feet that even proper files can't get remove. But it's nice because it removes the dead skin from places you can't normally reach with a file. I hope I find these again in our DMs.
Repurchase: Yes.

HAIR


MATRIX Biolage Anti-Dandruff ScalpSynch Shampoo
I loved the discontinued scalp scrub from this line, so I got the shampoo too, but in terms of anti-dandruff effect this did nothing for me. As a shampoo it was fine, one of the thick ones, it foamed well and didn't leave my hair dry. 
Repurchase: No.

ALPENCIN Medicinal Intesiv Kopfhaur- and Haar-Tonikum Forte
I've been through a few bottles of this. It's a liquid that I use when my scalp feels itchy and this alleviates it. It smells awful, though, like you soaked your hair in schnapps.
Repurchase: Yes, but I found something better - Subrina's Recept Intensive Balancing does the same thing, doesn't smell as terrible, has a way better packaging and it's cheaper.

I adore the crème serum from this line, so I thought this might be equally impressive. However, it's a pretty standard moisturising mask that was ok for my hair, but not amazing and its effects didn't last more than a day or two. Still, it's one of the better drugstore masks.
Repurchase: Maybe.

This is almost exactly the same as my HG hair product Dove Quench Serum, but neither are sold here anymore. It's a true miracle leave-in conditioner that leaves my hair smooth, it tames frizz and just makes it look better. I wish either of these two were still sold here.
Repurchase: Yes.


SCHWARZKOPF Color Expert with Omegaplex 
L8
I got two of these to do a balayage and it got me from a coloured level 4 (medium brown) to a level 6-7 (dark blonde) and in some places level 8 (medium blonde) which on dark hair means an orange and in some places golden tone, so right now I'm kind of ginger, though I already toned it to a more neutral shade (If you're not familiar with bleaching levels, you can see them here). It did what I expected and I was aware it's going to take several sessions on my hair to go lighter and it did so with pretty much zero additional damage. It's got a special Omegaplex serum inside the box which I think it's about the same bond builder as Olaplex and it helps prevent any major damage or breakage. So it that respect this is a great formula, though not quite as nice as L'Oreal's Excellence, but considering this is bleach, it's definitely one of the more gentle options. They have a stronger version called L9, but it's not sold everywhere and this one is more common. However, as good as the bleach is, Schwarzkopf is mental for putting the tinniest packets of violet toner and conditioner. I used two boxes, so I had 22 ml + 22 ml available and enough for maybe a third of my hair. Plus the toner is crappy, as the tint is quite sheer (I got a far more intensely tinted purple shampoo in the drugstore called Ice Cream No-Yellow shampoo), so I really recommend you get a separate purple shampoo or a toner - either Wella Color Charm T18 or T14 everyone raves about (sold in the US) or here in Slovenia Subrina Spectra demi-permanent colour 8/10. But you need to get to a level 9-10 first, so very pale banana blonde for them to work. I didn't get to that level, so I used L'Oreal's Excellence 9.1 which I had in stock and it's ashy, so it counteracts orange tones (I'd be better if I had 8.1 though).
TL;DR version: It's a great quality drugstore bleach for light brown hair at most, but get a separate purple shampoo or a toner unless you have very short hair.
Repurchase: Maybe L9 if I can find it, but I ordered Schwarzkopf Blondme bleach and developer for the next session because it's got fantastic reviews for being strong and having an added bond builder.

I've talked about this a lot and posted pictures of results, so it's no news I love this. I recently did my roots plus toned orange hair with it and it did a decent job, better on the roots, while it's still a bit more gingery on the lengths. It did a remarkable good job on the pieces that were golden blonde. Again I have to praise the formula because this is such an amazing one that makes my hair feel like the best conditioner ever. I'd really like to try L'Oreal's Preference version because I hear it's great as well and I want to see what's the main difference for those 2 or 3 €. Also I need to praise L'Oreal for being one of rare ones with a nice selection of ashy shades that are great for toning if you're lightening dark hair. 
Repurchase: Done.

I've also already talked in depth about this one and posted results. L'Oreal's is just miles better and stronger, so it lightens even dark hair. However, I've mentioned before that a shade my mother uses, 8.3 lightens her hair just fine.. The formula is the thing I have major gripes with because this is so drying and it's just not a very good one compared to some of its competition. I'd pick L'Oreal Excellent over it any time. 
Repurchase: No.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Thanks for shearing this wonderful pics.. nice blog

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. Thanks for sharing nice information with us. I like your post and all you share with us is up to date and quite informative, I would like to bookmark the page so I can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job.
    Any blog info
    Any blog info
    Any blog info
    Any blog info
    Any blog info

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. To pa je ljubezen z Catrice eyelnerjem :D.

    Beyu pogrešam tudi jaz. Škoda mi je, da nikoli ni nekih ugodnosti na to znamko kot. npr z Maybelline in L'Oreal.

    Se strinjam za Bale gel in peno za britje, tudi jaz ju vedno znova kupujem. Skoz je kakšna rezerva :D.

    Še nobena Etude House maska me ni razočarala. Pa še dokaj ugodne cene so.

    Mi je zanimivo spremljat tvojo zgodbo z lasmi, ker poznam eno, ki bi prav tako rada prišla čim hitreje iz temno rjave na svetlejše. Tako, da ji zdaj lahko kaj priporočam. Kje si pa kupila Color Expert? Ne vem, če sem to pri nas kje videla.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yup, zame skoraj ni začetka dneva brez eyelinerja od Catrice :)

      Točno to sem razmišljala nazadnje ko sem bila v DM-u, za Beyu nisem še videla akcije. Škoda, ker ta maskara je odlična.

      Color Expert je povsod, v Müllerju, DM-u, Intersparu, Leclercu,... Samo je večinoma samo L8, razen Interspar ima včasih L9. Je pa to ista stvar kot ena druga barva od Schwazkopf v svetlejši modri škatlici in ima isto Omegaplex zraven, obstaja pa v več verzijah. Te sem videla pa samo v Müllerju. Hitro pridet it temno rjave na svetlo pa ne gre. Jaz imam zelo močno belilo, ki beli 9+ odtenkov gor, pa ni šlo čez stopnjo 8, kar je tista oranžkasto zlata barva. Je treba večkrat belit in ne eno za drugo. Pa nujno nabavit Olaplex. Sem poskusila na pramenu dvojno beljenje in sem prišla do rumeno blond (stopnja 9). S temno rjavimi lasmi gre zelo počasi.

      Izbriši

TRANSLATE