Tropicalsreda, april 24, 2013
I have a great weakness for tropical scents. My heart trembles when I see a new product with words like passion fruit or mango on them. Anything that smells like a fruity cocktail is right up my alley. Strangely enough no one around me loves tropical scents as much as I do (or at all) and I've received a lot of eye-rolling when I dragged something new home from the drugstore. I have a lot of tropical scented products and I put them all in this post to share with fellow exotic scents enthusiasts. I'll focus on the scents rather than reviewing products because I've already done that for most products.
Tigi Bed Head Masterpiece - I've been using this hairspray for many years and if you're familiar with Tigi products, they rarely disappoint with their scents. This one smells like pineapple and the (old) Dumb Blonde line had a similar scent.
Batiste Tropical dry shampoo - It smells like sweet coconut, but it's quite a faint scent. Review here.
Balea Hawaii deospray (2012/13 LE) - A candy papaya and frangipani scent. Balea recently released two new tropical inspired deodorants, Brazil Mango and Cocos & Nectarine (more here), obviously, I'd love to have both.
Victoria's Secret Love Spell body spray - A tropical fruit mix. The scent is described as cherry blossom and peach, but to me it smells very tropical, sweet but still fresh. I already compared it to the discontinued blue Bibita (a fizzy drink), but US based reviewers compare it to Hawaiian Punch. Review here.
Garnier Fructis Fruity Passion shampoo - this has my favourite passion fruit scent in any product. It's the perfect mix of sweetness and fruityness. More here.
Balea Brazil Mango shower gel (2013 LE) - smells like tropical candy. I'll be very specific - the white Haribo gummy bear in the gold packaging (I always eat those first, I believe it's pineapple flavour). Balea has a great tropical inspired LE that is available right now in DM's. I wrote a bit about it here.
Balea Hawaii Pineapple shower gel (2013 LE) - smells exactly like Pina Colada, so a mix of pineapple and coconut.
Victoria's Secret Love Spell body butter - The same tropical scent as in body spray. Review here.
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration hair mask - A heavenly tropical paradise scent. It's a fruity, coconuty candy scent that lasts for a really long time on the hair. Review here.
Benefit Coralista - The prettiest blush ever and one of the rare ones that actually lasts on the skin. It has a tropical scent that I can't define, but I really like it. It not as intense as it was from the beginning though. More pictures here.
Yves Rocher Noix de coco - A straight up coconut scent. It's very affordable, not too sweet or artficial smelling and has great staying power. More here
Yves Rocher mango passion fruit edt (2012/13 LE) - It was last year's LE, but I read somewhere it will also be available this year. It's a simple refreshing mango scent. More here.
I can't do a proper post on tropical scents without including yearly Escada's LEs. They are the definition of tropical, cocktail, summery scents! There have been so many over the years and in the spirit of a true fan girl, I can boast with a nice, albeit small collection of them. Most are mini 4 ml travel bottles that I got on eBay and I own a 30 ml size of Taj Sunset and 50 ml bottle of Marine Groove. Their only weakness is the weak staying power. The notes (in italic) are copied from Fragrantica, check the reviews there if you want to learn more.
- Taj Sunset (2011 LE) - A warm, sweet and sunny mango fragrance. It's the most long-lasting and sweetest of the Escada's. Top notes are Alphonso mango, nectarine and blood orange. The heart features aquatic flowers with raspberry and pomarosa or Malay apple. The base consists of coconut, sandalwood and musk.
- Marine Groove (2009 LE) - a musky passion fruit scent. Notes: passionfruit, peony, jasmine and musk
- Rockin' Rio (2005 & 2011 LE) - One of my favourites. A warm, sugary tropical mix. Top notes: pineapple, fresh and sweet mandarin and passionate papaya. The heart is wrapped with juicy peach and sugar candy. The base is dominated by gourmet, warm coconut milk, sandalwood and musk.
- Pacific Paradise (2006 LE) - a more fresh fruity mix, a bit similar to YR mango passion fruit. Notes include banana, apple, coconut, lime, sugar, sandalwood, amber, and musk.
- Sunset Heat (2007 LE) A mango-melon scent. It's my least favourite because of the melon. The top notes create an exotic cocktail: lemon, papaya with pineapple mousse, mango sorbet and refreshing water melon accords. Sandalwood, coconut and hibiscus with its powdery floral notes end the composition.
- Moon Sparkle (2007 LE) A sweet-sour berry scent that is similar to Britney Spears Midnight Fantasy. It opens with notes of strawberry, black currant, citruses and red fruits. Middle notes reveal sweet pea, freesia, jasmine and rose, and this fragrant floral bouquet is followed by raspberry, musk, sandalwood and amber in the base.
- Ocean Lounge (2008 LE) - A sweet strawberry jam scent. Top notes: litchi, plum, pear nectar accord and strawberry meringe accord; middle notes are violet petal sorbet aromas, mimose blossom and jasmine; base notes are amber, sheer vanilla and teak wood.
Do you have any favourite tropical scented products? Have a great day!